Currently, Otoki is part of the Lubanów municipality; it is located 800 meters east of the village center. In 2013, there were 5 residents in Otoki.
The only historic landmark in Otoki is a 19th-century Dutch windmill. The structure was erected in the 1870s; it was most likely built between 1871 and 1888—there are no mentions of the windmill in 1871, whereas it can already be found on maps from 1888. According to oral accounts, the windmill operated only until the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries; by then, the existing mills—the lower mill and the upper mill, built in 1895—were sufficient to meet the village’s needs. After 1945, the windmill was put back into operation by a Polish miller and remained in operation until 1960. For the next 30 years, the structure lay unused and fell into disrepair. It was not until 1990 that the building was purchased by a private investor.
The Dutch windmill in Otoki was built on a circular plan with a diameter of 815 cm. The structure has a truncated cone shape characteristic of this type of windmill. As recently as the 1980s, the entire structure was covered by a gable roof. Originally, the structure (including the roof) was 1,100 cm tall. The building was constructed of red brick. Inside, the building was divided into three stories by wooden beam ceilings. At the very top were the mechanisms for rotating the cap and part of the transmission equipment. Today, little of the windmill’s equipment remains: a wooden vertical shaft on the floor, a metal gear wheel on the ceiling beams, fragments of a cylindrical separator, and two millstones with a diameter of 145 cm.
Publications