In Moryń, on Lipowa Street, between the town walls and a private property, we can find several Jewish tombstones—the remnants of a Jewish cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1856, and the last burial took place here in 1944.
During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed by the Germans. It was not until 2006, on the initiative of the Association of Friends of Moryń and Lake Morzycko, that steps were taken to restore order to the cemetery. Matzevot were discovered and restored in 2007. The surviving tombstones are rectangular with rounded ends. The plaques bear inscriptions in Yiddish.
During the ceremony marking the reopening of the renovated cemetery, a commemorative plaque was also unveiled, providing information about the site in Polish and German. Next to the cemetery, the former funeral home has also been preserved; it is now used as a residential home.
The cemetery was added to the list of historic sites in April 2014.
Publications