In 1874, Hermann Richard von Schöning of Lubiatów became the owner of Żuków. Shortly thereafter, his wife Louise designed a plan for a palace to be built on the estate. The palace was constructed between 1877 and 1878, with master mason Ferdinand Neubarth of Wriezen overseeing the work. The palace’s architecture draws on the so-called Hanover School. From the mid-19th century onward, artists from this school designed buildings using unplastered brick—villas, palaces, and townhouses. They favored the arcade style and, over time, also incorporated neo-Gothic elements.
The palace in Żukowo is an eclectic building, combining elements of the arcaded style and the Neo-Gothic style. It was built on a rectangular plan. Three corners of the building are cut off with triangular ends, while a four-sided tower was built at the fourth corner. The entrance to the palace is located on one of the shorter facades; at the entrance, there is a single-story vestibule. The cut-off corners are decorated with blind windows. The palace’s facades feature windows that vary in shape and the curves of their arches. The entire structure is built of red brick and adorned with ceramic details, including distinctive rosettes.
Publications