In 1882, Juliusz Neumann, the owner of a local printing house, built the first building, located at what is now 2 Armii Krajowej Street. After 1890, it was rebuilt by the Berlin architect Paul Franke. Almost at the same time, construction began on additional apartment buildings at numbers 4 and 6. The ground floor of the connected buildings housed offices and the publishing house’s bookstore.
Regardless of who owns them, the tenement houses form a cohesive architectural whole. They were designed with rectangular floor plans and topped with gable roofs. All three tenement houses share a similar style in the finish of their window frames, featuring triangular lintels. Numbers 4 and 6 have similar dormer windows—windows set into the roof slope. The tenement houses are privately owned; aside from the service establishments operating within them, they can only be viewed from the outside.
Publications