Swochowo was first mentioned in the 13th century. In 1274, the son of the estate’s owner, Rudolf de Swochow, was listed as a witness in a document granting another village to the Cistercians of Kołbaki. The estate was well managed. In 1628, it was recorded as having 72 peasant łans, 13 bailiff’s łans, an inn, a blacksmith’s shop, a sheepfold, a shepherd’s hut, and a bakery. Over the centuries, the village changed hands many times. During the interwar period, it belonged to the von Papen family, from which Reich Chancellor Franz von Papen was descended.
Deep within a neglected Old English-style park stands a Neo-Baroque palace dating from 1829. The two-story building was constructed on a rectangular plan and is topped with a hipped roof. The entrance portico is particularly noteworthy. Currently unoccupied, the palace has fallen into ruin and can only be viewed from the outside. The entire complex is complemented by a neglected Old English-style park, home to trees over a century old. Access to the grounds is restricted by a fence.
Publications