The manor house in Wolin has a very rich history. In the 12th century, a wooden manor house belonging to a Slavic castellan stood on this site. At the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries, a castle belonging to the Dukes of Pomerania was built on the same site. In 1622, the castle was rebuilt, and a few years later, in 1628, it was destroyed in a fire that swept through the town. The castle of the Pomeranian dukes was known as the “widows’ castle.” This name stemmed from its female residents—Duchess Anna Maria of Brandenburg, who lived there for 15 years after her husband’s death, and Sophia of Saxony, who resided there from 1623 to 1636. In the second half of the 17th century, the Swedes, as part of their efforts to erase all traces of the Duchy of Pomerania, demolished the castle, leaving only the cellars. Many years later—not until the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries—the Pomeranian Belov family built their residence on the site of the castle.
The castle walls do not align exactly with the foundations, as can be seen from the outside of the building. The outline of the foundations was lined with Gothic brick. After World War II, the manor served as a carpentry shop run by a municipal utility company from Wolin. In 2009, the building’s restoration began. The renovation, funded by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, lasted four years. In December 2012, the restored building was reopened. It currently houses the Center for International Cooperation.
The Baroque manor house is a single-story building. It was built on a rectangular floor plan. The building is topped by a gable roof. The building’s floor area is 200m². The manor’s architect remains unknown. The renovation restored the building to its former glory. The manor’s current condition closely resembles its appearance from years past. This historic manor should be on every tourist’s itinerary when visiting Wolin. In the immediate vicinity of the manor house are a historic post office building, the town hall, and the Regional Museum in Wolin.
It is currently owned by the Municipality of Wolin.
Publications