Nazi armaments factory becomes a residential complex
From 1903, competitors AEG and Siemens developed innovative radio and communications technology in the joint Telefunken Company for Wireless Telegraphy - also for the military. In 1940, the Wehrmacht financed the merger of the scattered production sites on one factory site. The functional, modern building complex for 6,000 employees was designed by the architect Hans Hertlein. A clock tower marks the administration wing. The huge asphalt area in front of it is part of a city ring planned by Albert Speer for the world capital Germania. After 1945, the US Army made the complex one of its bases. American GIs now marched on Speer's city ring. From 2000, apartments were built in the former barracks, and the long blocks of buildings were raised by one floor. Half of the former parade ground is to be unsealed as a climate compensation area by 2025.
Publications