Polish Catholic St. Apostles Peter and Paul parish is at 4/5 Św. Piotra i Pawła Square in Szczecin.
The Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul in Szczecin is now a parish of the Polish Catholic Church, belonging to the Pomeranian-Greater Poland deanery of the Wrocław diocese.
On the site of today's temple, apparently already in the 6th-8th centuries, "holy oaks" grew, and the deities of the Polabian Slavs and Pomeranians (Trzygłowa) were worshiped. In 1124, Bishop Otto of Bamberg (during his Christianization mission) laid the foundation stone for the first Christian church in West Pomerania, which was built on this site. This wooden church, however, was burnt during the Danish invasion in 1189. In 1223-1237 a new brick temple was built in its place, which has survived to this day. The St. Apostles Peter and Paul Church is the only church in Szczecin that remains under the same invocation, given by Bishop Otto himself. Currently, this church is on the European Route of Brick Gothic and is entered in the register of monuments in 1955, number A-803. In 1534, the church was converted into a Protestant temple. Since 1945, the parish has belonged to the followers of the Polish Catholic Church. Until 1978, the pastor of this parish was Fr. Zdzisław Zaremba, and then Fr. Stanisław Bosy, who has been holding this position to this day.
The wooden painting on the vault by the German painter Ernst Eichner from 1703 (24 m long and 4 m wide) depicting three biblical scenes: the flood and God the Father, four Evangelists, and the sermon of Christ on the Mount and the Lamb is an undoubted advantage of the church. Another valuable exhibit is the 16th century chandeliers donated by the Habsburgs. The church also contains the largest collection of epitaph plaques from the 16th and 17th centuries. In one of the side chapels there is also a place commemorating those murdered in Oświęcim by Brzezińka. Ecumenical meetings and concerts take place in the parish, for example from the "Temple of Art" series, or jazz hymns.
The Polish Catholic Church in the Republic of Poland is the Old Catholic Church legally operating in Poland, being a member of the Utrecht Union of Old Catholic Churches, the World Council of Churches, the Conference of European Churches, and the Polish Ecumenical Council. The Church is governed by its own law, which is passed by the National Synod, which is called: the internal law of the Polish Catholic Church in the Republic of Poland.
Liturgy of the Holy Mass : Sun. 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., weekly at 5:00 p.m. Office: Mon.-Fri. 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.