The Germans built the airport in 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II. It served as a garrison for the Luftwaffe’s 1st Air Fleet (Flugplatz Königsberg in der Neumark). In February 1945, it was taken over by the Red Army, which remained stationed there until 1992. The retreating Germans destroyed some of the buildings. After the Russian takeover, the site served as an operational airfield for the 582nd Fighter Aviation Regiment. The garrison’s arsenal included, among other things, MiG-21F and MiG-21F-13 supersonic aircraft and S-75M missiles. In 1951, the facility was expanded. It covered an area of 423 ha and included, among other things, hangars and shelters, runways, garrison buildings, fuel stations, a railway siding, a hospital, garages, ammunition depots, and an aircraft guidance station. Currently, this facility no longer appears on any list of airports. Its grounds are gradually being developed. Demolition of some of the hangar-shelters is underway, and a solar power plant is to be built in their place.
Publications