Moryń is one of the smallest towns in the West Pomerania Province, with only 1600 inhabitants. Its history dates back to the 10th century – when a stronghold was created along with the nearby fishing and farming settlement. Civic rights were conferred to Moryń before 1306. In the 14th century town’s fortification system was built. In 1320, the town joined the New March. In the 15th century the town was ruled by the Teutonic Order – that was the time when (1433) the Hussites made severe destruction in the town. In the 18th century, the town survived three great fires. During the Nazi occupation, a special school, one of the two in Pomerania, was opened in Moryń. Its main aim was Germanisation of Polish children.

The town is off the main communication routes, therefore during the WWII it didn’t suffer serious damage (approx. 15% was damaged). Therefore, most of its precious heritage has been preserved. The old town is almost entirely surrounded by the medieval defence wall (4,5 m high, 300 meters in diameter). The old town entered the list of cultural heritage of the province.

Inside the town walls, visitors will find The Holy Spirit Church, which was built in Late-Roman style during the second half of the 13th century. The building with three naves, made of granite joint blocks was expanded in the 14th century. Inside, we will find, the 12th-century Roman altar made of granite cubes (which is one hundred years older than the church itself), the Baroque pulpit and the fragments of the Medieval polychrome.

In the eastern part of the old market, at 1 Plac Wolności [Liberty Square] there is a town hall – the 19th-century building with a Classical portal. In 1961, it was rebuilt after fire. In front of the building, there is a fountain with the sculpture of a crayfish. This refers to a local legend, which says that in the past, there lived a boy named Crayfish. During Brandenburg’s attack, he forced his way through the enemy’s ranks and he brought the ducal army, which helped to conquer the opponents. Unfortunately, the young man died during the fight. According to the legend, during moonlit nights, his soul comes out of Morzycko Lake and as a crayfish protects Moryń.

On 27 Rynkowa Street there is a Neo-Gothic building from 1874 – in the past there was an orphanage financed by Christian Ferdinand Koch. In 1903, his monument was placed in front of the building. These days, it houses a nursing home for disabled children, which is run by Benedictine Sisters of the Cross of Jesus Christ.

Residential buildings from the 18th and the 19th centuries are also part of the old town. Some of the facilities are equipped with stoops. The old town in Moryń entered the list of cultural heritage in February 1956.

Related routes

Pomorze Zachodnie (The West Pomerania) | mobile app

App Pomorze Zachodnie (The West Pomerania) mobile app

You will not get lost on the route with us! In our application you will find a detailed map of routes and excursions, interesting places and events, 360 panoramas and much, much more!