The building, commonly referred to as the former granary, was erected during the expansion of Aten Wałeckie, the Jesuit college. According to the plans of those who commissioned its construction, it was intended to serve as a residence for the school janitor and as a stable, and it was used for these purposes from the time of its construction—that is, from 1860 until the end of the 19th century. Although there were plans in 1874 to demolish it completely and build an auditorium on the site, a house for the school principal was ultimately built first, and it was not until 1882 that a single-story auditorium was added to the main school building.
The janitor’s house was constructed of solid ceramic brick using lime mortar; natural stone, cut into irregular blocks, was used for the foundations. Toward the end of the 19th century, the building underwent some reconstruction—the residential section was expanded, and the stable, located in the northwest corner, was converted into a utility room. The two sections naturally differed in appearance—the ceilings were different, as were the windows: in the utility section, there were small, partially closed openings, while in the residential section, there were three-pane box windows with semicircular transoms and radially arranged mullions. This window design has been preserved. On the side of the roof facing Kościuszkowców Street, there are dormer windows. A decorative element consisted of profiled plaster moldings around the windows. A major renovation of the building was carried out at the turn of the 1960s and 1970s, and minor renovation work was also performed in subsequent years. Currently, the building is traditionally used as housing for the school’s teachers. A garden separates the house from Kościuszkowców Street, while on the Kilińszczaków side, it is separated by a brick wall, a metal fence, and a lawn. The property of the building in question is separated from the main high school building by a steep slope reinforced with a retaining wall.
Publications