II Myślibórz - Barlinek - Choszczno [61 km]
This stage is completed except for two short sections; Głazów-Sulimierz and the departure from Barlinek. Most of the route runs along asphalt bicycle paths built on the former railway track.
The first of the five lake districts, from which our trail takes its name, is the Myśliborskie Lake District, with its capital in Myślibórz, on the lake of the same name. The city has preserved the medieval plan and fragments of the city walls with two gates: Nowogródzka and Pyrzycka. The rococo town hall on the market square is definitely worth seeing. The collegiate church of Saint John the Baptist from the beginning of the 15th century stands right next to it. From here, we go mainly by bike path to Barlinek. In the market square, there is a well with a statue of a girl attacked by a gander - the symbol of the city. It is related to the legend of a shepherdess unjustly sentenced to death for allegedly practicing witchcraft. She was saved by geese, which showed up just before the execution and lifted the girl on their wings.
On the wall of the building at Chmielna Street 7 there is a plaque devoted to Emanuel Lasker - chess champion, who held this title for 27 years - the longest period in history. A small park on the Barlineckie lake is named after the legendary chess player. Of course, you can also play on outdoor chessboards there. Every year in June, Barlinek hosts the International Chess Festival in memory of Dr. Lasker. It is worth stopping by the picturesque paper mill over the Płonia river. Unlike many similar structures, the mill was saved from destruction and today serves as a culture center with many interesting initiatives. Interiors are open for sightseeing by prior arrangement.
South of the town there is the Barlinek Landscape Park, but we follow the former railway track to the north, to Choszczno. Near the trail are ruins of the palace from 1898 in Sarnik, formerly belonging to the famous Wedel family.
We pass a different kind of "ruin" at the former Lubiana railway station. Thanks to the village mayor, the station building is no longer neglected. He also saved from scrapping a beautiful steam locomotive from 1942, which stands in front of the station today, awaiting renovation. Together with a historic car and an electric locomotive, they constitute a small museum of technology.